Every family has problems and challenges. But successful families try to work together toward solutions instead of resorting to criticism and contention. They pray for each other, discuss, and give encouragement. Ezra Taft Benson

Monday, December 22, 2008

Gene R. Cook

Elder Gene R. Cook has been a personal hero to me since my mission in Bilbao Spain. He was then a councilor in the area presidency to President Dieter F. Uchtdorf, and I believe the only Spanish speaker in the presidency. As a result, I remember multiple mission conferences he presided over. I still read and re-read some of the notes I took during the conferences. I count them as gems of wisdom from a faithful man. One example is when he told us that whenever you stick-up for the truth, some people will hate you for it, but others will embrace it because of you. I have found this to be so true over the years. After my mission I compiled my notes and various talks into what I titled The Cook Book. His insights on faith and families have been a blessing to me and my family.

I was saddened when he received emeritus status in the October 2007 General Conference, but suspected it was due to health. In 2005 he said this in a devotional at BYU, "All of my adult life I have suffered with very difficult health problems, some of which have been life-threatening. What lessons were taught in the process of all those years! I believe they could not have been learned any other way. They have helped me to be more Christ like. Truly the Lord knows the end from the beginning and will tutor, correct, mold, and even refine you in the furnace of affliction. He will do so until He has accomplished His purposes in purifying you, sanctifying you, and helping you draw closer to Him. These kinds of gifts from the Lord are not always easy to understand, but I count them as priceless gifts to me and my family."

Recently, while reading in the book Teachings of H. Verlan and Shirley H. Andersen, I discovered that my mother-in-law's uncle, H. Verlan Andersen served in the Area Presidency of the Mexico Central America Area as the first counselor under President Cook. Imagine realizing a connection (however so slight), with one of your favorite heroes and mentors. It is very exciting. I know a lot of people think me silly, but that's how I felt. I think a man needs to have heroes at any age. That's magic that one should never out grow.

No comments: