Every family has problems and challenges. But successful families try to work together toward solutions instead of resorting to criticism and contention. They pray for each other, discuss, and give encouragement. Ezra Taft Benson

Sunday, August 5, 2018

I love talking about marriage maybe because I am so happy in mine. I realize it is painful for some people but I feel it is vital for the upcoming generations and those struggling now to have a real understanding of the doctrine of marriage. The first thing I would say in teaching the doctrine of marriage is that “...All human beings...[are] beloved spirit son[s] or daughter[s] of heavenly parents...” The truth that we have heavenly parents is such an important link to understanding the divine structure of families here on earth. If we believe that we are offspring of actual parents then that means marriage can be eternal and has eternal importance.

We are taught that “marriage between a man and a woman is ordained of God and that the family is central to the Creator’s plan...” It starts with marriage. I find it interesting that marriage and family life in general can be very trying for almost all of us. Some find the secret to a happy marriage and that can cut out a multitude of anxieties in life. Such is true of family life as well. All can be tried by family life but family life is also what helps us become the men and women we are destined to become.

As I learn about marriage and the significant role it plays in our lives I will share some of the truths I learn on here.

Unfortunately in our day, we learn about marriage at the same time we learn about divorce. I’ve often wondered if this is to warn us of the dangers of being careless about marriage and particularly our covenants we make at marriage. Divorce can be so districtive to multiple generations. My parents helped me to see that covenants made and broken have serious consequences, so whom we marry is of utmost importance. Pres Hinkley said “This will be the most important decision of your life, the individual whom you marry. There is no substitute for marrying in the Temple. It is the only place under the heavens where marriage can be solemnized for eternity. Don’t cheat yourself. Don’t cheat your companion. Don’t shortchange your lives. Marry the right person in the right place at the right time.”


No comments: