Every family has problems and challenges. But successful families try to work together toward solutions instead of resorting to criticism and contention. They pray for each other, discuss, and give encouragement. Ezra Taft Benson

Monday, September 19, 2011

Quotes To Live By

The children were asked by an art teacher they are working with, to bring their favorite quotes today as they will make frames for them. As we were discussing them this morning in family devotional, the didn't have to think long about which to use. Without hesitation the older two chose the quote and poem below. I thought I'd post them here as they are important to the children. The last one I added because it is one of my favorites. Now, if we could only live by them more...


“I have been asked what I mean by “word of honor.” I will tell you. Place me behind prison walls—walls of stone ever so high, ever so thick, reaching ever so far into the ground—there is a possibility that in some way or another I might be able to escape; but stand me on the floor and draw a chalk line around me and have me give my word of honor never to cross it. Can I get out of that circle? No, never! I’d die first.” Karl G. Maeser


A Little Brother Follows Me

A careful boy I want to be;
a little brother follows me.
I do not dare to go astray
for fear he’ll go the self-same way

I cannot once escape his eyes;
whate’er he see me do, he tries.
Like me he says he’s going to be-
that little brother following me.

He thinks that I am good and fine;
believes in every word of mine.
The bad in me he must not see-
that little brother following me.

I must remember as I go
through summer’s sun and winter’s snow
I’m building for the years to be
that little brother following me.

-Author Unknown



"This is the greatest wealth we possess -- to know how to direct our labors rightly, spending every hour advantageously for the benefit of our wives and children and neighbors."

"Time Should Be Spent Wisely -- What have we? Our time. Spend it as you will. Time is given to you; and when this is spent to the best possible advantage for promoting truth upon the earth, it is placed to our account, and blessed are you; but when we spend our time in idleness and folly it will be placed against us. We have to give an account of the days we spend in folly." Brigham Young

No comments: